Wednesday 13 February 2008

Book Review: Simple Knits for Little Cherubs

With a Little Cherub of my own to knit for, how could I resist Simple Knits for Little Cherubs by Erika Knight. This is a follow-up to Simple Knits for Cherished Babies, with patterns for little ones aged two to five. The book is divided into three sections: plain classics, patterned classics, and classic accessories. That gives you a good idea of the style of the knitting projects - classic and traditional. They are intended to be easy to knit, using stocking and garter stitches.

The two projects I have picked out to knit are this loose fitting sports-style sweater - nice to put over jeans or a cotton dress for playing outside on cooler summer days. It has three-quarter length sleeves, two patch pockets on the front, and a polo-shirt style collar.


... and this little denim pinafore dress. It uses Rowan denim yarn which is supposed to perform like the real thing, including fading and shrinking (the pattern allows for shrinkage). I love it with the stripey top in the photo.



There are plenty of other patterns I would happily knit - a little fluffy bolero, a patchwork style blanket, a rather endearing cuddly fox terrier with felt nose and eyes would be high up my list. On the whole I preferred the plain knits to the patterned ones.

1 comment:

Sweetness and Light said...

That denim dress is so cute!!